Terms & Privacy
Who we are?
If you have questions regarding the policy, please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Data Protection Officer
19 – 21 Crawford Street
What information do we collect?
We only collect personal data relevant to the type of interaction you have with Viva Islam. The information we collect is relevant to the type of transaction you are entering into. The personal information we collect might include; name, address, email address, telephone numbers, bank account details (for setting up regular direct debit or payment information) and whether or not you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid. Please note the personal details gathered by us may not be limited to the above mentioned categories depending on that services you sign up for with Viva Islam.
Sensitive Personal Data
Under GDPR and the Data Protection Act 1998 some elements of personal data are considered as being more sensitive. We do not collect “sensitive personal data” about our supporters, e.g. health status, unless there is a clear reason for doing so – such as participation in a fundraising event where we need this to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in the event. In such cases, clear notices will be provided on application forms to make clear what information we need and why we need it.
All sensitive personal data is stored on a secure database, to which only a limited number of relevant staff have access. It is deleted when no longer relevant, is never shared with third parties, and is available to you at any point should you wish to see it.
How Viva Islam uses your information:
We collection this information in order to process your requests and keep you updated with Viva Islam’s Work.
Dealing with your enquiries requests and complaints
Processing your donations
To provide you with the services, products or information you have requested like child sponsorship feedback
To process Gift Aid donations
To confirm receipt of donations (unless you have asked us not to do this)
Processing your donations
Providing you with information about our work activities events and services
Complying with our legal obligations policies and procedures
Providing and personalising our services
Administering membership records
Third Parties and your data
Third party organisations we currently receive data from, but not limited to, are BT Donate, Just Giving, Pay Pal, Barclays Bank Merchant Services and Eventbrite. These organisations will have their own data protection and privacy policies, which you should be aware of before signing up.
Who does Viva Islam share information with?
Viva Islam will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information, except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it. If you opt to share your personal information on the Gift Aid claim form, we will provide your data to HMRC (HM Revenue and Custom) for auditing purposes.
We enter into contracts with all our data processors and regularly monitor their activities to ensure they are complying with Viva Islam policies and procedures. We do not allow these organisations to use your data for their own purposes or disclose it to other third parties without our consent and we will take all reasonable care to ensure that they keep your data secure. We will not sell your personal information to other organisations for use by them in any way, including in their own direct marketing activities. We may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
-We may need to share your information with service providers who help us to deliver our projects, fundraising activities and appeals, (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place.
-We may use other companies to provide services and process your personal data on our behalf, including delivering postal mail, sending emails, processing credit card payments and analysing supporter trends to help us offer you communications that are most appropriate to you and your interests. We will only provide those companies with the information they need to deliver the specific service and we ensure that your data is treated with the same level of care as if we were handling it directly.
-When you are using our secure online donation pages, you are going through to a secure payment provider approved by the banking industry, that is, Secure Trading Ltd.
-Where we are under duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with law or the disclosure is ‘necessary’ for purposes of national security taxation and criminal investigation or we have your written consent.
-Where we need to perform due diligence checks to ensure fraudsters are not abusing us or criminals posing as genuine donors, for example money laundering proceeds of crime tax avoidance.
Keeping Your Information up to Date
We are obliged to ensure your data is as accurate and up-to-date as possible. We therefore consult alternative sources in order to ensure data quality, e.g. Royal Mail address files, data cleansing services, websites and other publicly available sources.
How long will Viva Islam keep your personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. If you request that, we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us. We are legally required to hold some personal information to fulfil statutory obligations, for example the collection of Gift Aid or to support certain financial transactions.
How we use information collected from job applications?
Upon applying to work or volunteer at Viva Islam, we will only use the information you give to us to process your application and to monitor recruitment statistics.
If there are instances in which we need to disclose your details to persons outside Viva Islam; for example, when conducting background checks such as references, professional qualifications or obtaining a disclosure from the Disclosure & Barring Service, we will inform you in advance of doing so, unless we are required to disclose this information by law.
All application details will be stored and retained on our system. Details of unsuccessful candidates are retained until the recruitment for the position has been completed. Physical interview notes are kept for 6 months after which they are deleted. If you would like us to remove your details from our database at any time, please write to email@example.com.
How Viva Islam keeps your data safe
We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details. For example our online forms are always encrypted and our network is protected and routinely monitored. We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff and volunteers. When using external companies to collect or process personal data on our behalf. We do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them, and put a contract in place that sets out our expectations and requirements, especially regarding how they manage the personal data they collect on our behalf, or have access to. We have a robust partner monitoring framework to ensure these contractual obligations are met.
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer by websites you visit.
They are widely used to make websites work more efficiently for visitors, and to provide information to the owners of the site. Some of the cookies we use are essential in order for parts of the website to operate. For further information please view our cookies policy.If you’re under 13 parental consent
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with us through our website and at fundraising events.If you’re aged 13 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information on the Website
Accessing and updating personal info
The accuracy of your individual identifying information is important to Viva Islam. We are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that Viva Islam maintains about you. In the meantime, if you change email address or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Supporter Relations, Viva Islam, Suite 720, 19–21 Crawford Street, London, W1H 1PJ.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation, which comes into force on May 25th 2018 you have the following rights:
1. The right to access your personal information free of charge
2. The right to edit and update your personal information
3. The right to request to have your personal information deleted
4. The right to restrict processing of your personal information
5. The right to object
6. The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (ICO), if you make a request relating to any of the rights listed above, we will consider each request in accordance with all applicable data protection laws and regulations.
Terms Use of this site is provided by Viva Islam subject to the following:
1) Your use constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions as at the date of your first use of the site.
2) VIVA ISLAM reserves the rights to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified.
3) You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights, or restrict, or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by any third party. In addition you must: 3.1) Use the site for information purposes only, for reproduction for personal use only and not for reproduction on any other website or for commercial gain. 3.2) Notify and seek the approval of VIVA ISLAM to any intended links to the website prior to making such links. 3.3) not copy, store in a retrieval system or transmit in any form or by any means any part of the website to any third party without the written permission of VIVA ISLAM.
4) This site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos regarding or relating to VIVA ISLAM are provided “as is” without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied. In no event will VIVA ISLAM be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use or in connection with such use or loss of use of the site.
5) VIVA ISLAM does not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the materials.
6) Commercial use or publication of all or any item displayed is strictly prohibited without prior authorisation from VIVA ISLAM. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring any licence by VIVA ISLAM to use any item displayed. The VIVA ISLAM emblem is protected symbol under Trademark laws. Use of this emblem by an unauthorised person is strictly forbidden. Documents may be copied for personal use only on the condition that copyright and source indications are also copied, no modifications are made and the document is copied entirely. However, some documents and photos have been published on this site with the permission of the relevant copyright owners (who are not VIVA ISLAM). All rights are reserved on these documents and permission to copy them must be requested from the copyright owners. Unless otherwise stated all images are copyright.
7) The website may contain links to websites operated by parties other than VIVA ISLAM. Such links are provided for your convenience only. VIVA ISLAM does not control such websites, and is not responsible for their contents. VIVA ISLAM’S inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators. You are solely responsible for evaluating the accuracy and completeness of any information contained on the third party websites, and also the value and integrity of any goods and services offered by such websites.
8) Whilst VIVA ISLAM makes all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses from the website it cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for damage caused through the downloading of viruses. Therefore, you are recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before downloading information from the website
9) VIVA ISLAM reserves the right to vary any event registration fees and the prices of any goods or services listed without notice. All event registrations and orders for goods and services are subject to availability and VIVA ISLAM reserves the right to refuse to accept any registration and to refuse to supply and goods or services to any individual.
10) Although the website uses encryption security software in areas where on-line payment details are accepted, the security of information and payments transmitted via the internet cannot be guaranteed. Any loss incurred or sustained by you when transmitting information by means of e-mail or other internet links shall be borne solely and exclusively by you and in no event shall any such loss in whole or in part be borne by VIVA ISLAM or its agents.
11) VIVA ISLAM shall not be held to be in breach of its obligations hereunder nor liable to you for any loss or damage which may be suffered by you or any third party due to any clause beyond its reasonable control.
This policy was last updated May 2018
If there are any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will contact you and we will place a prominent notice on our website(s). VIVA ISLAM